Saturday 19 October 2013

The Springbok Experience

Day #32

Friday. 

Well this morning started a bit strange. Was woken up to find Peter, the volunteer coordinator, standing in our room. Myself and Moritz were quite surprised to see him as you can imagine! 

He needed me to drive with him to the garage as he was dropping off the volunteer minibus for a service. 

In the afternoon we headed into town then I split off as they went shopping and I headed to the waterfront. 

I had one of the maddest moments ever! 

When I arrived I got myself a chicken baguette and headed out into the sun to find myself a spot to eat. I wandered over to the stage area where a lot of people were gathered and took a seat. 

It was a good baguette, plenty I chicken and salad over flowing from the tasty baguette. I went in for my first bite. Then, suddenly, just as I took that all important first bite a seagul came out of nowhere and took a bite of some of the chicken from the top of the baguette, while I was still biting into the sandwich!! It was mad! Crazy! And everyone saw it and started laughing so I put the sandwich back in the package, had a look on my phone trying to look cool and casual then when I thought everyone had stopped looking I fled the scene. Mad. Kept laughing to myself afterwards. A seagul took a bite of my sandwich whilst I was also in mid bite! 

After that it headed to... The Spirngbok Experience! It's a new interactive museum on the South African National a rugby team which was opened a few weeks ago by the team themselves. 


I loved it! Genuinely the most interested I've been in a museum before. Fascinating to read all about the History of Rugby in South Africa especially involving sport during the apparteid period. 


Had a great time, got a few more cool quotes as well...




It was really modern and very interactive! 


At the end of the experience there is a short film which was really inspiring an then Spirngbok Trials. This involved huge screens with sensitive cameras which copied your body movements that were used to kick a rugby ball through posts for example. There was also the speed hand game which I got hooked on! 


Can't say how interesting it was. I know it's just rugby but really was a good experience. 

That evening was our weekly Braai night for the new volunteers to celebrate their arrival. Again great food and fantastic company with all my new friends from all over the world! 

God Bless. 

1 comment:

  1. Well you do seem to be having some interesting encounters sharks, seals, penguins and now seagulls not quite the same as Abersoch. I always enjoyed watching Invictus so not surprised you enjoyed your day at the museum. Good to see food is back in the blog this one definitely provides the most eventful story. No 1 Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal