Monday 7 October 2013

Moving Day

Day #21

So today is moving day! I have loved every minute of my time staying with Bruce, Louise and Grace. They're such an amazing family who are really kind, welcoming and caring so I'm going to miss them. But I have my next South African Chapter ahead and I'm very excited to start it! 

So after saying goodbye to the Tazz (don't worry we will be reunited in 4 weeks time) and saying goodbye to the house it was time to leave as the driver for Save picked me up. 

The driver was also the volunteer coordinator who will be organising us and keeping things running. Had a great chat with him as we drove into town to pick up 3 other volunteers. 

I was talking to him about my time in Dunoon and the football work we did there. SAVE also work in Dunoon and he was really excited about the idea of doing something similar with the volunteers. So after talking to him we are going to try and arrange a football project for a number of the townships out here and bring them all together for a football tournament. 

We picked up the other volunteers. One from Brazil, one from Norway and one from Germany! 

We arrived. Save uses two main sites. Saltycrax, which is a backpackers lodge which is almost a mini headquarters for SAVE and the two work closely together. And the Volunteers houses. There's four houses in total and we're all in number 4. 



At the moment save have 21 volunteers from all around the world. That has been the crazy thing so far how many different nationalities there are here! And there is more arriving tomorrow! 


For my 4 weeks here I'll be sharing a room with two Germans, Christopher and Moritz. Next door are the two girls from Brazil and Norway. 


Next we had a little briefing about what we're going to be up during our time here. 

So let me give you a quick run down to how it's going to work...

Breakfast at 7.30. Leave for morning projects at 8.15. In the morning we change each day as there is a schedule of different projects for us to go along to. There's a few projects based in Dunoon which is great because I have a strong connection now with Dunoon. Tomorrow I think I'm going to help out with some very little kids but not too certain. Then we come back for lunch. In the afternoon we do the surfing. As there's 19 surf volunteers we split into 2 groups, one half go surfing with the kids, the other half teach kids to swim in the pool here. Tomorrow I'm on swimming. Then we have an evening meal. 

We work Monday-Thursday and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off to do some mad things and travel a bit which is going to be exciting to plan things to do. 

So after briefing went for a walk to the beach with the three other 'newbies'. It was an amazing view, very excited to be working here for the next 4 weeks! 



Evening meal. Around the table there was one Englishman (myself), two from Germany, one from Brazil, one from Norway, one from Canada and three from Germany. All the others had gone out for the evening. 

This is where we have meals together...


Had some amazing conversations with people hearing about they're travels and adventures. Can't wait to have some more of my own. 

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. How very exciting. Love your room, super cosy and has great potential to look like your room at home very soon!!! The dining room looks fun too and so many nationalities. What a fab start to the next adventure.... Ps what is the dog called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callum, great to hear and see how you are getting on - Caleb amazed with your shark adventure. In our prayers. Dave, Jonny and Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very exciting a new start and lots to look forward to hope you continue to enjoy your time with people from different nationalities that was one thing I loved about meeting different people when in Germany especially at the international church I went to. No 1 Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal