Saturday 21 September 2013

Typical Tourist

Day #05

A new morning and the day was mine to explore. 

The journey to start the day was good. The sun was shining and I could see all of the large ports and skyscrapers as I drove into the big city. 

Today was tourist day. 

As an Englishman I felt obliged to fulfil my national duty and travel on the tourist sightseeing hop on hop off bus.


With the sun still shining I thought it would be the perfect chance for me to get a feel of Cape Town and see it in all it's glory. However the sun didn't last and before long the rain started meaning me and my fellow tourists had to dash for cover. 

Yet, despite the rain, it was still an interesting trip and I got to see and hear about (through the audio guide) a lot about Cape Town. The sun did eventually put his hat back on near the end of the tour as well. 

Next, lunch. And where better to go than the large food market which contain lots of different stalls serving lots of different food from lots of different cultures. (Just to let you know, the general rule is the food in Cape Town is incredible). 


So after a taste of Africa in the form
of South African Kebabs I headed into the city centre itself for the first time. Again I didn't really have a clue where to go so just wandered around finding a few cool spots including Greenmarket Square, a large market containing traditional South African stalls selling local gifts. 

After that, back to the food market to refuel and another wander round the waterfront. The waterfront is the place to be. It has a really great atmosphere! The mixture of blue waters, big boats, markets, street performers, different museums and shops makes it my favourite place (so far).

By this point the sun was out and skies clear blue except for the layer of cloud on Table Mountain. This is normal hear and they call the cloud the 'tablecloth'. 


Really felt like the South African weather had arrived at last! 

Late afternoon/ early evening was my favourite part of the day. I decided to take myself and The Tazz up signal hill (a large hill next to table mountain- and yes The Tazz did make it up). 

The sun was setting with blue skies and for the first time I saw Cape Town in all it's glory! The views from the top were incredible... 


Green point stadium and the waterfront...


Table Mountain and the city below... 


Robben Island... 


The perfect way to end the day- watching the setting sun on Signal Hill (now my new favourite place)


The drive back down was pretty exciting as well :) 

1 comment:

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal