Monday 23 September 2013

Dunoon

Day #07

The Cape Town spring is in full swing with more sun and blue skies to start the day! Temperature are starting to creep up as well! 

Today I was off to the township of Dunoon. Dunoon is a small township not too far away from Table View in the outskirts of Cape Town. It is a very shanty township with not the greatest conditions. 

I was suppose to be giving a talk on Healthy lifestyle to a small crèche for the younger kids (around 5/6 years old) of the township. I had prepared for the event and especially gone out to buy lots if fruit for us all to try, however to my disappointment the crèche was closed. But I hope to come back and do my little presentation later in the week. 

So instead, me and Chris headed into the heart if the township and went to visit some of the family's. This was my first time to walk around a township and get to see the conditions these families live in. 


In that room in the back the mother and the three children (one was just a baby) shared a small double bed. 


My trip to Dunoon gave me such an insight to the conditions these people live in day to day. It's a tough life. 

When your in a place like this, where day to day life is tough, and begin to think about how to be a witness to these people these verses tend to come to mind...

Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15, 16 NIV)

Gave me something to think about anyway. 

During my time in the township I got the chance to meet lots of different people and had the opportunity to give out some of the LFC gifts. 


These two boys wanted one day to play for a big club like Liverpool Football Club (notice they didn't say a big club like Everton- Interesting).

The children loved to take lots of pictures while I was there, mainly of themselves...



The afternoon, Chris took me through an intensive fitness boot camp and after yesterday's run it almost killed me. We also looked through tackling techniques for coaching and other stuff along those lines. 

What did I learn; To be cheerful in the face of adversity, as Chris shouted during the drills when cheerful wasn't the first word which came to mind.

It was a good session and I did learn a lot. Knackered though afterwards and the legs even now are a bit stiff. 

A good day. Excited to see what tomorrow brings.

God bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal