Wednesday 25 September 2013

An apple a day keeps the doctor away

Day #09

Good Morning. New day; new challenges, new experiences and new people all to look forward to. 

After Mondays disappointment today we were heading back to the small children's centre in Dunoon Township to deliver a healthy lifestyle talk. 

Just a bit about the centre, it's more if an open house. A lady from the community realised with the increasing numbers of children in the township (and there are loads) that a lot of them have nothing to do in the day so she opened up her home (well her garage really) and started this children's crèche/ centre!

I didn't know what to expect but was excited about this new challenge. We were led round the back of this small home to the back entrance of the garage and when we walked in we were amazed to see how many children were there, all crammed together, waiting. 


"Cal, there all yours!"

Thrown in at the deep end! But it was really good, the kids were really nice, all had big smiles and excited to see two new faces!

So as I said earlier I was going in to talk to these children from the township about healthy lifestyle. The tricky part was not all of the kids spoke English so as I spoke I had an Afrikaans translator talking alongside me which made things interesting but we got by. I started off talking about a healthy diet, we looked at all the different types of food and how we need to eat healthily to do all the mad things we love to do. 

Then as we moved on to fruit we ha a taster session as I had previously bought lots of fruit for the kids to try. 


They loved it! It was tricky to try and control them and their excitement but it was great fun. 


After healthy eating we moved on to another way in which we can keep healthy, exercise! So outside we went for a mini bootcamp. They all copied me as I went through different types of exercise, so we had jogging on the spot, star jumps, squats... When I asked one of the kids to lead we all end up in one big dance! They couldn't really get their heads round push-ups...



After all that I took them in for a quiz and for prizes we had some more of the Liverpool gifts to give out. 


I loved my time here and look forward to going back (hopefully tomorrow) to play football with the kids! They were full of so much energy, enthusiasm and life! Great fun to work with! 

In the afternoon, I went to do a couple of jobs, watched a performance from a local children's circus group, then went for a drive further round the coast to visit Camps Bay and Hout Bay! Amazing drive right next to the sea! 

Hout Bay, a fisherman's a town was really interesting and I got the chance to see my first South African seal. 


Great day! 

God Bless. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks like such a fun day! Glad you're already having a great time :) Ffi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. nan and grandad doug27 September 2013 at 06:33

    Hi Cal Nan again having fun with the laptop and typing very trying !!! But having a go !!! Sounds like a good day. Loads of love Nan and Grandad Dougxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal