Saturday 28 September 2013

"Hier Kom Die Bokke!"

Day #12

Today was a day for the men!

Started the day with me and Bruce driving to Capricorn to pick up Josh, one of the lads from the township and who plays for CCC. He's a really nice lad, good fun and easy to talk to. Today was a lads day out! 

First stop; the old biscuit mill


The Old Biscuit Mill is Cape Towns equivalent of Camden Market in London but with a bit more class and culture. (We need one of these in Liverpool). It had lots of different stores and stalls selling various gifts and produce. There was also a chocolate factory there which was good to taste all the different types of chocolate (white, milk, dark) and the different strengths of coco. 

But most importantly there was sooo many food stalls selling freshly prepared meals and snacks. 

  
There was sooo many types of food from lots of different cultures and countries. Too many to choose from!! As we went around we tried different little tasters, one of which was Biltong a speciality here in South Africa (basically is cured/dried sirloin steak). 


I ended up going for some tasty Chicken, Chorizo and green bean paella! Also got myself a couple of Cake pops after only being introduced to these beautiful sweet treats a few weeks ago thanks to the Smith family, so I had to get myself some and they were goooood! 


Next we headed home to watch the football, Chelsea vs Spurs! Josh being a Chelsea fan he was cheering on the blues for the win. Just to give you idea about which teams people support out here; in the older generations Liverpool is huge out here, but the majority younger people are glory hunters and support Man United (soon they'll be changing loyalty after their recent dip in form and today's result).

Now for the main event of the day!

We were off to Newlands Rugby Stadium to watch the international match between South Africa and Australia. Two fierce rivals at the top of their games, it promised to be an epic battle! 

We got tickets in the standing area behind one of the try lines. Ticket cost me R100 which is about £6.50, a bargain to watch world class rugby! I wasn't expecting the best of views but how wrong I was! 

 
And being in the standing area the atmosphere was so much better with chants and songs being sung for the Springboks! I was wearing my new Springbok jersey, "Come on the boks!" 


It was a great match, we went 3 points down early on but after 20 minutes we had cemented our position and were 20-3 up! Final score was 28-8 and was a great match, especially from our view we got to see just how big these guys are and how hard they smash each other!! Incredible! My first international rugby experience and I loved it! 



"Hier Kom Die Bokke!"

"Here come the Boks!"

God Bless.


2 comments:

  1. Cal so glad u went to biscuit mill the food is amazing!!! I went there with Nobbi and loved it .Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal