Saturday 9 November 2013

What a week!!!

Days #50-53 (Tues-Fri)

Well after the mad weekend and the late arrival of the car and some money problems... FINALLY I was on my way to somerset west. It was too late to join the guys for today's training so I went straight to my new home. 

I found the right round, Sir Lowrys Pass then I was just looking for number 46. It was a long road and house didn't come too often. I was close to turning around as I was in the middle of nowhere, somewhere surrounded by tree and mountains and fields. Then all of a sudden the sign appears...


I didn't know what to expect as I drove down the long drive. I was greeted by some friendly children and a huge black Great Dane called Bruno.


I live on a farm. Yes a farm. It's like being on a ranch holiday here! We're surrounded by amazing scenery with lots of trees, fields, mountains, streams and ponds. I have my own room with en-suite and small kitchen. It's amazing!!!!!! I did not expect this. 

The farm is owned by an older couple. They have 6 children of their own who have all grown up with their own children so there's lots of children. And the couple also adopted 5 African children also so it's a busy farm with a big family atmosphere I love it!! The house is huge, it's sort of three big houses together to make one massive one. There's lots of outbuildings including stables (no horses yet sadly), garages, workers accommodation and even there own squash court in one of the buildings. It's mad!! There also lots of bikes, scooters and quad bikes! Really is like being on holiday here. 

This is the front of the first house section...


My room is the one at the end...


They have boats, lots of vans, bikes...






Oh and here is my car...


The 5 adopted children are 16,15,14,12 and 11 years old. They are friendly happy and friendly and I love chatting to them and hearing all their stories because they only moved to this farm last year and the last farm they had was a lot lot bigger and very exciting. They use to do sugar cane farming not far from Durban and now here they hope to do sheep, cattle, chickens and lots of other vegetation. In their last farm they produced 10 thousand cabbages a week, that's how big we're talking! 

They are a Christian family so it's great to hear about their mission trips where they got a paneled van, built bunk beds in the back and travelled across Africa with food packages handin out to those in need and saying about the good news. 

One night after I played squash with Luke and Cara it was like I was interrogating them as I asked questions after questions about their trips, life on the farm... They are really interesting people. I love what they do and how big their family is! 

I am really loving my time staying here. 

Now about what I'm doing when I'm not enjoying the farm. I'm with Helderberg Academy. They are a sport ministry based from their church. We go into three different townships to do a training session in football and rugby. We develop a football skill, teach a life skill then tell a bible story and they all link together really well. The structure here is really exciting and would be amazing to bring back to England. 

On Thursday I led my first session. Our football skill was long passing, the life skill was Serving and our bible story was Jesus washing the disciples feet. So from the bible story we see how Jesus serves his followers and how he says we should also serve one another which is the life skill and we can serve one another on the pitch by playing a long ball than rather trying to dribble our selves. 

I was really happy with the session and the kids were great! 

Friday I was starting the planning for the summer camp which is going to happen in three weeks time. I'll be coming back to go and lead on the camp which I'm really excited about!!

Well... What can I say? I'm loving my time here and learning sooo much along the way! 

God Bless!



3 comments:

  1. Wow Cal!!! Looks AMAZING!!!! What incredible expereiences the Lord is giving you!!!! H & M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a bit like home with all the animals and boats etc. I am loving your blog. Love Trish x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cal amazing photos especially the blue car glad it was all sorted in the end. Love the way the academy links the training with a message from the bible, some great experiences :) impressed auntie

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal