Wednesday 20 November 2013

All we need is a dove!

Day #62

Sun. 

Yes, sun. The sun was shining, the storm had passed. There was even a beautiful rainbow there to remind us of Gods promise never to flood the world again (on Friday night when I was in floods up to my nipples I was questioning that promise but God ALWAYS keeps his promises) so the rain had stopped and the floods went down :) all we needed was a dove and it would be pretty close to the bible story. Noah's Ark vs Bruce's Boat! 

It was my first Sunday in the Helderberg Church known as Urban Voice. I really love the church here, there is such a warm friendly family feel to the church with lots of friends and people to chat to. Again the worship was great and the message strong. 

In the afternoon, to celebrate the sunshine, we had a Braai. It was cool to gather round the Braai and chat to Bruce and two other friends staying here from Canada. 

One of them in particular was called Keith. He was an old man originally from South Africa. He is a very happy and cheerful chap who is a missionary also. His stories are powerful. Some of the things he has been through and then to see how he is soo passionate about loving Jesus and other people is challenging. 

One story really got me. When he was younger he was out fishing with his son when the boat capsized. The two of them swam to opposite sides of the river. Kieth said to his son not to try and get across but to wait there and he'll figure something out. Anyway the son decided to try and make his was across then Keith watched his son get eaten by a Crocodile. So now when he talks about his children he says I have a son here, a daughter there and a son in heaven. It was powerful. 

He's really into squash and uses it as a way of ministering to some of the young men. He has so far played with 111 different young men as a part of his project. So I had him a game. He obviously had played a lot as ha great technique and power but I showed no mercy and won 3-0 in games. 

I have really enjoyed squash here. The boys are incredible players as they play most evening and they're technique is outstanding so I have learnt a lot during my time here and feel pretty good. By the end of my two weeks I was even beating them. They have me hands down with technique but I know I can run more and I am stronger so used that to my advantage. 

In the afternoon myself and Simon headed in to a friends house to watch the Springbok vs Scotland rugby match. 28-0 to South Africa, boring game. 

Then later that evening I just enjoyed my last night with this special family. 

I have met soooooo many amazing people during my time here. People who I hope to be friends with and see in the future. 

God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone,
hopefully now I've sorted out so you can leave comments a get in touch with me while I'm out here in South Africa. So please say hello in the comments.
Thanks, Cal